The Essential Features of the YTP have sustained since the program's inception in 1990. (Special Note: An article authored by Mike Benz, Lauren Lindstrom, and Tim Latta is posted below written in 1999. Download and read that article and you will find that many of the features of YTP identified in 1999 are still in place in 2013-2015)
Program Management Features are also extremely important as YTP sites build their partnerships with VR Branch Offices. Those features include:
- YTP Staff Roles: YTP staff must have clearly developed roles and responsibilities, which make use of individual team member's strengths and interests.
- Schools/VR Collaboration: YTP school and VR staff meet regularly to review client progress and coordinate delivery of services.
- Managing Paperwork: YTP staff must develop a system for managing student and program paperwork in order to evaluate student progress, communicate with their VR partner, and document services provided.
- Coordination with Other Programs: A process must be developed for coordinating the YTP with existing school and community programs in the delivery of transition services.
- Marketing and Public Relations: YTP staff must create opportunities for marketing the program in order to more effectively integrate YTP services into the school and community.
SHARING YTP CLIENT PROGRESS NOTES WITH VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION COUNSELORS ON A REGULAR BASIS
As a best practice, YTP Transition Specialists should share YTP client progress notes with their Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC) partners on a systematic and scheduled basis. Every month would be a good schedule to consider because VRCs are required to update progress in their database (ORCA) on a monthly basis.
Sharing of progress notes allows the VRC to enter those notes into their ORCA system (VR's data management system). It also fosters communication, teamwork, collaboration, "next step" thinking in terms of plan development, readiness for employment, and other benchmarks along the path of rehabilitation that VRCs are required to report on. Note: According to new VR policy, VR Counselors can no longer copy and paste notes from electronic sources (e.g. email, attached PDF Documents, etc.). Please check with your VRC partner to agree on a preferred method of sharing this important communication.
DOCUMENTS ATTACHED BELOW RELATE TO BEST PRACTICES IN YTP: