INTELLIGENT LIVES project invite you watch and share four short films by Dan Habib (creator of Including Samuel and Who Cares About Kelsey?). Habib is a filmmaker at the Institute on Disability at the University of New Hampshire. Each film is accompanied by a discussion guide, and can be viewed at https://intelligentlives.org/transitionfilms.
The films (16-18 minutes long) focus on effective practices to help youth with disabilities successfully transition from secondary school to postsecondary education and employment, including:
· Student-led IEPs
· Self-determination strategies and leadership development
· In-school and community based opportunities for entrepreneurship development, work opportunities and college/career counseling
· Interagency collaboration between schools, vocational rehabilitation, area agencies, post-secondary schools, etc.
· Family involvement and support for high expectations
· Higher education opportunities and supports
· Cultural and linguistic competence embedded into transition services
Use these films and discussion guides in your schools and communities to open doors to college and careers for students with disabilities!